Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Finance Strategic Transformation Welcomes Mary Wagamon


Mary Wagamon joined the Finance Strategic Transformation (FST) project team early this year as an administrative assistant. In her role, Wagamon supports the project team as they progress through FST, a widespread and intense change effort that touches nearly every part of UVA.
Mary Wagamon

Besides her skill set and experience, one of Wagamon’s strongest qualifications for the position may have just been that she knows a thing or two about change.

After earning her Bachelor of Arts in English and racking up a few years of experience working in a variety of professional administrative roles, Wagamon uprooted her life and moved to Scotland to pursue a graduate degree in English Literature from the University of Glasgow.

“I chose to study English Lit because I’ve always enjoyed work that had to do with communications,” she says.

“I like writing, and I like talking to people. I chose to pursue my studies in Scotland because I’d studied a month there during undergrad, and I loved what I saw while I was there researching literature and culture. I decided I wanted to go back someday.”
A snapshot from Wagamon's
time at the University of Glasgow

After finishing her studies, Wagamon moved back to her home state of Virginia. Although she misses the conveniences of being in a big city, she’s enjoying being back in the area, working at UVA and writing fiction.

Wagamon’s talent and training in writing and editing has served her well in her career, which includes positions at the Library, the Department of Music, and the Department of Computer Science. In addition, she finds her love of working in academia to be a strong motivator in her administrative work.

“I like trying to make my part of the University more efficient and improved, and I like meeting new people and hearing their stories.” she says.

In her new role, Wagamon has already gotten to meet a variety of people from all over Grounds, as the effort she’s a part of involves so many stakeholders.

We’re glad she’ll be part of helping to write this next chapter in UVAFinance’s story!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© UVAFinance | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig