Monday, February 6, 2023

New Senior Buyer brings Knowledge, Enthusiasm to the Team

Prior to joining the UVAFinance Procurement and Supplier Diversity team, Sara Johnson-Ward worked as the Senior Contracting Officer at the Virginia Indigent Defense Commission (VIDC), also known as the State Public Defender.

For most of her career, she has worked for the State of Virginia, with her longest tenure serving at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. She was a buyer for the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation and established a book distribution agreement with the University of Virginia Press.

"In 2004, I had my son and it became clear that I needed a position that did not require extensive travel – state procurement was the logical transition with my skill set," she shares. "I worked at the Virginia Department of Fire Programs and the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation before working at VIDC."

As the new Senior Buyer for the Services and Athletics procurement team, Johnson-Ward will be procuring conference, lodging, and ground transportation services for UVA among other goods and services.

 "When I made the transition to state procurement, I set a
goal to work for a university because I enjoyed working at VMFA," she says. "As an
educational organization, VMFA was a wonderful collaborative work environment. I
am happy to make my way back to serve the public in the education field, and
the timing was perfect."

Johnson-Ward is pleased to be a part of a supportive team and is enthusiastic about new challenges, "So
far, my biggest challenge is learning the university’s 
systems, but I enjoy learning so I am up for it!"

Comprehensive training and exploring the systems are getting her up to speed and she credits her team with an invaluable depth of knowledge in helping her acclimate.

Outside of work, you can find her on the links with her family.

"As the mom of a high school senior who has played golf since he was four, I love watching my son’s golf matches," she says. "To be outside in the fresh air and enjoy the day, is a gift. I have one season left to do this and might have to take up golf again myself! I will have more time to spend in my art studio as well."

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© UVAFinance | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig