Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Stick-to-Your-Ribs Mushroom Risotto Recipe


Mushroom risotto works as a main course or a side dish. This recipe is vegetarian (though by no means health food), and it could be made vegan (to the best of my knowledge) by skipping the butter and cheese (and you may need to find a vegan wine, if you use it). Added bonus, risotto always seems to be even better the second day, so having extra is a good thing. This recipe serves roughly 4-6 for a main course. 

You can make this recipe with purchased stock to make it easier, but a recipe for mushroom stock to make at home is provided. I like things MUSHROOMY, so making my own stock is a key part of the process for me. And I usually do large stock batches and then have some of multiple kinds on hand in the freezer. OkayI'll stop blathering because I don't have a "Jump to Recipe" button, and who want's the story of me and mushroom addiction anyway?

Mushroom Stock

Ingredients: 

  • 16 oz. white mushrooms, quartered (ish - you can use more, wouldn't use less than 8 oz.)
  • 2 oz. dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms (also ish - I use a variety; this batch had dried porcini, shiitake, and chanterelles—probably overkill because: mushroom problem)
  • 1 large onion quartered or eighthed (is that a word?) 
  • 4 garlic cloves, crushed (you can leave skins on, but I always peel them because I'm weird)
  • 2 stalks of celery, cut in 2" pieces (I use leaves, too - this is optional, but I like celery for stocks)
  • 1 large carrot, cut in 2" pieces (once cleaned, I do leave the peel on carrots for stock)
  • 4-6 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp. peppercorns
  • 9 cups cold water
Preparation: 
  1. Combine the ingredients in a large stock pot as you chop, and then cover with the cold water.
  2. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
  3. Cook for at least an hour (if it really boils down, you can add a bit more water).
  4. Line a strainer with cheese cloth and strain out veggies, using a sturdy spoon to express as much liquid out of them as you can before you discard. 
  5. Stock is ready to use or store. 
Cheffy Tip:
Making stock from perfect veggies can feel a bit wasteful, but after you've boiled the crud out of them, trust me it's better to let them go. They've died well. But you can store kitchen scraps or veggies starting to go south in the freezer to use for stocks. Carrots gone a bit limp? Freeze for stock later. Got clean mushroom stems you're not going to use? Freeze 'em. Onion trimmings and celery hearts headed for the trash? You know what to do...

Risotto

Ingredients: 
  • 1 1/2 c. Arborio rice
  • 1/2 c. dry white wine (optional) - I usually use Sauvignon Blanc
  • 5 c. mushroom or veggie stock (heated)*
  • 2 Tbsp. good olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. butter 
  • 1 med. shallot finely chopped (or 1/2 small onion)
  • 1-2 garlic cloves, minced**
  • 1 c. grated or finely shredded Parmesan
  • 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves stripped from stems (optional)
  • Dash of truffle oil (optional) 
  • Salt and pepper to taste
* Better to have too much stock at the ready than not enough, so I always have more than I think I could possibly need heated. In my experience, recipes tend to call for less than I use, but I also don't like my risotto too al dente (a.k.a. firm to the teeth). If you're using a prepared veggie stock and want more 'shroominess, toss some dried mushrooms in there as it heats. 
**Some risotto recipes leave garlic out (GASP!), but garlic is one of the love languages of my Italian people. I put two here, but I use more. Do what feels right for you. 

Preparation:
  1. Heat stock to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. 
  2. Heat oil and butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
  3. Add shallot, or onion, and garlic and sauté until tender (~2-3 min.).
  4. Add rice and stir until coated and slightly translucent (~2-3 min.).
  5. Add wine and stir until wine is absorbed; if you're skipping wine, move right on to adding stock
  6. Add roughly 1 c. of hot stock to the pan and stir until most of the liquid is absorbed (buckle up for a lot of stirring, buttercup).
  7. Add more stock by the ladleful or in roughly 1/2 c. increments and keep stirring. You'll see the rice plumping up. I recommend using a wooden spoon. You'll feel the consistency of the rice changing as you go. Start tasting intermittently when it's obvious the rice is no longer crunchy.
  8. When the rice nears done, add the thyme leaves if you're using them. You can also chop the thyme leaves if they're not already small enough for your liking. 
  9. When the rice is pleasingly al dente, remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Add the dash of truffle oil; be super careful not to overdo it. You want the truffle oil to enhance the mushroomy flavor, not overwhelm your palate for days on end. Add salt and pepper to taste. 
Bonus Cheffy Tip: Keep and freeze Parmesan rinds. When cooking something like risotto (or soup or stew or teawait, not teatoss a rind or two in the stock as it heats for added cheesy deliciousness. 

Got kitchen-y questions? Email me, Kristie.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© UVAFinance | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig